Nationally Accredited PEMA serves the Commonwealth and it’s neighbors under the EMAC
Emergency management agencies in every state provide critical services previous-to and throughout emergencies, disasters and special events. Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) is the independent cabinet-level agency tasked with emergency preparedness planning, response and recovery in the Commonwealth.
It was announced in April that PEMA received national reaccreditation by the Emergency Management Accreditation Program (EMAP). The EMAP is part of a national effort to establish a baseline measurement of the nation’s emergency management capabilities. It helps states improve their ability to prepare for, and respond to, emergencies and disasters of all kinds.
This reaccreditation states that PEMA meets the national standards and demonstrates compliance in 16 different areas; including communications.
PEAKE has worked closely with PEMA over the past 8 years, providing the agency with various solutions that improve operations both at their emergency operations center in Harrisburg and ‘in-the-field’, with their fleet of mobile command and communication vehicles.
Solutions provided by PEAKE include:
- VSAT satellite antenna systems and upgrades to core networks on PEMA mobile command vehicles, SatComm1 and SatComm2.
- IPICS radio interoperability solution on both mobile platforms and at the headquarters in Harrisburg
- PEAKE Tactical-IP™ VSAT and Tactical-Voice™ services
- Integration of Raytheon ACU units in PEMA mobile command units
- Physical interior overhaul of SatComm1 and SatComm2
- Integration of Matrix-switched video system including satellite television, video teleconferencing, analog-to-IP video encoding, and an upgraded pan/tilt/zoom mast camera
- Integration of IP voice and data networks, VSAT satellite systems, and switchable video systems into Three PA-IMT Trailers
- Two PEAKE pCom Trailers providing infrastructure communications, scene lighting, radio interoperability and power in-the-field
- Integration of 4G/LTE cellular connectivity into all PEMA Mobile Communication Vehicles
- Mobile Camera Kits for use on vehicles with remote viewing on PEAKE VirtualVideoWall
Along with the Pennsylvania State Police, PEMA personnel were recently deployed to Baltimore, Maryland in response to the Baltimore riots. Pennsylvania offered support in response to Maryland’s request for assistance under the Emergency Management Assistance Compact (EMAC).
PEMA’s participation in this mutual aid response showcased the EMAP-accredited communication capabilities of the agency as they were seamlessly connected to other responding agencies. PEMA’s mobile command and communication capabilities allowed for personnel to operate and provide assistance throughout the civil unrest.
As PEMA continues to prepare for and respond to statewide and national emergencies, disasters and events, PEAKE continues to provide the agency with the mobile command and communication resources they need to ‘Ready PA’.